Friday, 5 June 2015

THAT IS MINE!

That's my plate, and my cereal bowl, my favourite pens, my top three mugs, my duvet, my pillow, my soft toys, my spoon, fork, knife, juice, tea-bags, paper, cream, banana...and that's MY mum!
Okay...I might be a tad possessive!

 
Being the only child, I am not used to sharing my personal belongings. Growing up, there's always been a Cindy's this or a Cindy's that! I value some of my possessions; it could be as mundane as a plate, but to me it is special...I tend not to share these, much, unless I am convinced that the person I give it to will love and treasure it just as much as I do. If I doubt a person's attitude towards any of my treasured things, I will take all measures to avoid sharing it.

This rather unhealthy aspect of my character has been something God's been nudging me to address over the past month. While it is not bad to value your possessions, obsessing over them so much so that you can't even share it, isn't very Christ-like.

Possessiveness enslaves me by robbing my peace and ability to love

I find myself worrying about how to make sure X or Y doesn't take my things. Even if I end up sharing it, I find myself worrying about the wellbeing of that object - it's almost as if I personify these inanimate objects.

Jesus called me to love others, 'as myself' - by hiding my things, or steering clear of having to share something, I am certainly not doing that! My actions show no evidence of love for God or that He is No.1 in my life. My actions reveal nothing but a love for self!

When there are people feeling unloved, my priority ought to be to go out of my way to show them love.
When there are people dismissing the love of God, my priority ought to be to reveal the transformation His love can cause.

Where is that sacrificial love that drove Jesus to the cross?
Without sacrifice, love is just a word. Without love, my profession of faith is just an empty statement.

"No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will hold to one, and despise the other" - Luke 16

"If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me" - Matthew 19

These words from Jesus opened my eyes...

As a Christian, my heart's desire is to become more like my Saviour with each passing day. That requires sacrifice. Sacrifice to self and the desires, possessions and longings that go with it. I don't want to be like the rich young man who held on to his possessions and missed out on the opportunity to experience life to the full with Jesus.

I am struggling with this, even today I shed tears for having to share my favourite soft toy with a little boy who came home (yes I am supposed to be an adult but don't worry, I cried in my room!) I am writing this so that as I read over it, these truths the Holy Spirit has been reminding me of, will sink in to change my attitude towards my things, and ultimately, towards others.

If we're in the same boat, I hope this encourages you to die to self and let God liberate you to love those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment