Thursday, 29 May 2014

Jar of Gratitude

Discontentment is something I believe all of us struggle with - whether it be a position, status, person, emotion or object, we can long for or covet after absolutely anything. While using one's success to inspire us to strive for something similar is admirable, allowing it to fill us with emptiness and dissatisfaction is not.

I recently found myself falling into the pit of only-if-I-hads! My discontentment blinded my eyes to the privileges and blessings I enjoy. It went from bad to worse. People say, "Look at those less fortunate than yourself." - that used to work but not anymore. I have become immune to such comparative therapies; I begin reasoning with myself that everyone lives a different life and hence give myself a license to sulk with self-pity. This did not spur me on to achieve greater things, it drained me to the point of conscious and stubborn laziness...that is when the penny finally dropped!

A tweet popped up on my Twitter feed about recording something that you're grateful for each day, a point that resonated from the sermon on Sunday. That was it! I looked around for ideas to make this task fun and memorable:
Jar of Gratitude
Leave it in a prominent place in your room, preferably on your bedside table. At the end of each day, take a small piece of paper and make a note of one thing that made you smile or breathe a sigh of relief.
Board of Thankfulness
This needs a little wall space and a lot of sticky notes.
All you need is a bit of inspiration! I neither have a jar nor a board, instead I used an old chocolate container to make a 'Box of Gratitude'
Box of Gratitude
Doesn't matter how, but I invite you to join me in recording your often forgotten blessings. It not only preserves you from debilitating discontentment, it also offers you something to fondly look back on, in the near or distant future.
Every day, no matter how bleak, has a silver lining that makes us stop and breathe or even smile - a gorgeous sunrise, a supportive friend, a good night's sleep or even just relief to have gotten through the day. I know it is not always easy to look past dismay, but it is not an impossible task either. I am not implying that we disguise our sorrows, far from it; amidst the blitz, forage for that hint of comfort or joy that pushes you forward.
Paul certainly had a point when he said, 'Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.' - if you weren't already tempted by the opportunity to put your creative hats on, I bet the latter part of this verse made my argument doubly convincing!

I guess it's settled then - there is no right or wrong way to be grateful, except to be ungrateful!

2 comments:

  1. what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely doing this!!!

    ReplyDelete