Monday, 29 July 2013

Exercising Trust

Whether it be uncertainty about what will happen in a few years' time or in a few minutes' time, uncertainty is one of those things in life that I just cannot bear. I mull over it, get moody, upset, aggressive...it just drives me mad!

I know that God is in control of the uncontrollable; He is faithful and gracious, hence I can trust Him completely. However, this knowledge isn't always easy to exercise and honestly, I have been struggling to exercise this trust over the past few months.

Problem

In Psalm 55:22 David beautifully encourages us to 'cast [our] burden upon the LORD as He will sustain [us] and never let the righteous be shaken'
If you are anything like me, casting your burdens onto Jesus is the easy bit...but you struggle with something else...to LEAVE your burdens WITH Him! It shocked me to realise how rude this actually was...
Imagine entrusting something to someone but constantly going back to check on it...what does that show?
We don't actually trust them, our trust is superficial as we imply that we doubt their expertise. Hence if I was God, I would be offended!

Solution

Although I have been struggling in silence for a few months, it wasn't until a few days ago that I finally listened to what God was trying to tell me all along, thanks to 'Lift My Life Up' by Unspoken playing on the K-Love radio station
The secret to getting rid of an earworm is to replace it with another, likewise I realise that the only way we can rid ourselves of distrust and anxiety is by focusing on the goodness and faithfulness of God to us in the past. Yes, the devil will try to remind you of unanswered prayers or of times when God said 'No' but surely God knows best, and why be disheartened, NOTHING comes to pass without His approval!

Uncertainty is inescapable but holding on to His promises and reminding yourself of His faithfulness will get you through each day in relative peace. Trust me, exercising trust in the Savior isn't easy, but neither is it impossible!
Finally, never forget that 'all things work together for good to them that love God, for them who are called according to His purpose.' Romans (8:28)

No comments:

Post a Comment