Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Our Response to a 'No'

Entering the new year, we all are forced to look back on the year that has gone by. There is one particular event that truly shook me at the end of last year - a forceful lesson that God decided to teach me. While I struggled learning it, and still struggle digesting it, I'm grateful for it as it has surfaced my incompetency and my constant need to trust the Savior.

There were prayers last year, which were answered with a heart breaking 'No', regarding my university applications. I'm ashamed to say that I was slightly upset with God for not fulfilling a dream I've longed for, for over 10 years. 
When life slumps down on us, dropping us into such pits of despair and disappointment, there are two common responses...
1. We can choose to let our anger and resentment towards God fester and grow our heart cold.
2. We can trust Him, despite our disappointment and hold onto His promises.

The first option is the easier, however, on the long term, it is spiritually unhealthy - in fact it is the carnal option out of the two. By growing cold towards God, not only do we fail to see His beautiful and powerful hand at work in our lives, we also close the doors through which He blesses us. Eventually, we will lose the joy of our salvation - King David will be happy to tell you and me that, that is the worst experience ever, hence his heartfelt cry, "Restore to me the joy of Your salvation".

The latter option, is what I eventually chose. God promises Israel through Jeremiah, that He has 'plans to prosper [them] and not to harm [them], plans to give [them] a hope and a future'. Elsewhere, He promises that 'all things work together for the good of those who love the Lord and seek His purposes'. His 'No' and 'Not yet' should assure us that He has a better plan; it should lead us to trust Him and rely on Him more. His ways ARE higher than our own and thus we cannot question Him. Also, He uses these periods to draw near to us, He teaches us a few lessons to make our walk with Him more worthwhile, meaningful and enjoyable.


Looking back, I am glad it was a 'No'. My university applications are still uncertain, however, there is a peace within me which He has given. I am assured that He has the best in store and is weaving this situation into something beautiful which He will unveil to me soon. I have learnt to trust His ways more and have recognized areas of my life where I had slacked and need to amend.

If you are in a similar position, dealing with a 'No' or a 'Not yet' from God, remember, you can go down one of two paths, the one you choose will make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment