Thursday, 19 May 2011

During these exams I've learnt a few vital things that I always overlook. I feel that these four points are some of the keys to maintaining a strong relationship with God...

  1. His ways are not our own - God has His own way of working things out; just because He doesn't work the way we want Him to, it doesn't mean that He is going to do nothing. During my English and Music exams, I prayed for two sections to come up because I was confident about them...but, they were the two that failed to turn up in the entire paper! I was so frustrated! I guess at one point, I was slightly angry with God, for not working my way. My frustration blinded my eyes and I failed to see God's amazing, gracious hand at work - although, I wanted two other topics to come, what was remarkable is that, God helped me remember points for the questions that did turn up. Although He doesn't work my way, His way was certainly the best as, at that minute in the exam, I could not recall anything from the topics I wished for!
  2. He's not going to let us down - Jeremiah 29:11 - 'For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' This verse always strengthens when I am filled with stress and anxiety about a wrong answer or something I missed. It reminds me that my life is in God's hands, which I am very grateful for. No matter what happens to me, I can rest in peace that He only does what is best for me. Although at times life seems totally unfair and miserable, I know its hard to, but we've got to trust that He knows the way and that He'll carry us through. We have a choice: we can let worry and anxiety reign inside us and be filled with sorrow, or we can rest in God's peace joyfully, trusting Him to straighten the path.
  3. Never lose faith and hope - Like John 14:14 says, when we ask God for anything in His name, He will do it. However, He will not give you everything you ask for. He will answer you in His way, in His time, if it is His will for you - unlike us, God is omniscient, He knows the end result, therefore He does what He knows will strengthen us and bring us closer to Him. We've got to trust Him and have complete faith in Him no matter how bleak the path ahead looks.
  4. Give Him all the glory - Ever so often, when we reach the place that we've aimed to reach, or when life brightens up on us, the euphoria of the situation can push us to forget the root of our success, unfortunately, I do it a lot. Proverbs 21:31 says: 'The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the LORD.' When He showers His love on us and brings us to this peak in our life, we've got to remember to humbly accept that we are not at the root of it, it is God who works; we have got to give Him the glory, just like John outlines in Revelation 4.
These four key points that I have learnt, all intertwine and work together to build up one thing - my relationship with my Father. Although they seem easy to do or obvious, I struggle with them most of the time because they're so easy to forget. However, we can always call on God to help us nurture and practice these in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing..
    These are truthful words.

    ReplyDelete